Thursday 22 February 2018

In Pursuit Of A Monster Gudgeon (Gobio gobio)

Whilst many are setting targets to catch more noteworthy species like giant carp, out to catch a different Whopper. The Mighty Gudgeon is just one fish planning to break a personal best PB :)

MONSTER GUDGEON


Gobio gobio WIKIPEDIA

The above Monster Gudgeon is estimated to weigh 6-9 oz and was caught by Mr Ashley Bennett from The River Wandle. This fish has been posted all over the internet and on many Facebook and Angling Groups/Forums. Sadly this wasn't weighed and registered to claim The British Record. Undoubtedly in my mind this is a proper Whopper ! No doubt Smashing the current record of 5 oz caught by a Mr D. Hull which has stood for 28 years, caught way back in 1990 from The River Madder in Wiltshire.


Here is the original Facebook Post:
I've said it once and I'll say it again, the UK record for Gudgeon will be broken on the Wandle, and today im pretty sure I broke it!
I took my two boys after school to see if they could sit still for longer than 5 minutes (They couldn't) but they have said many a time they wanted to come fishing with me, so that's what we did, I set the quiver up and was fishing on red maggots, instantly i had a take and it was a small Dace, they loved it! So we sat watching the end of the rod to go round and it did, wouldn't say there was much fight but when I see it come up in the water I instantly thought it was a baby Barbel, until little man netted for me and on closer inspection I see the BIGGEST Gudgeon I've ever seen, this thing was absolutely massive, the boys couldn't quite work out why I was going crazy! To them im guessing it was a small fish. I'm gutted I never had scales or something to keep this beauty in, because I would of got someone down to officially weigh it, but I'm pretty sure I just smashed the UK record!

To read more about this amazing catch you can read more here on an Anglers Mail Feature.


OLD RARE SALTER GUDGEON SCALES

image source


ALL PRAISE THE HUMBLE GUDGEON...
my first love!


ANGLING WITH SHAUN ON FACEBOOK
Work In progress starting point rather than the finished article. Please visit again sometime for further updates. Thanks for your patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment